Sunday, November 1, 2009

It's Nothin but a Number or Is it?

Is age really nothing but a number?
Does a few years difference change a relationship if everything else is there?
Can we really be friends and hang out or is it impossible due to ones age difference?

As yu should know I'm 17. Yes, SEVENTEEN. The man in this situation is 20. Yes, TWENTY. Now I'm only three years his junior and I understand that is a small amount but significant. This guy and I have known each other by face for a few years but recently just found a new friendship. He works fulltime but next semester will be attending GA State majoring in Criminal Justice.He has his own car,two in fact, a nice paying job, and has a wonderful family. Well my last post was about him. Yes this is the man shocked I asked him out. Well in preparing for our rendezvous, I asked my father if I could go out. Since yu don't personally know my father I'll give yu a little insight. REG is a complex man, very driven, intelligent, creative, protective, an all around good family man who's willing to do and give anything for me. He asked for a little background info on the man I was ATTEMPTING to go out with. With little hesitation I shared his name, personality,how we met, but was slow to fork over the age but I did. His face held no expression but I knew he was thinking like WTF?!? He told me he'd get back to me, I was just hoping he'd say yes. We'd talked about me dating over my age bracket before and he had mafe it seem like no problem. One because he'd dated older and my mother his more than 5 years his senior. Second, He's very much like me. Third, I thought he'd be more understanding. Well the next day his verdict was no. Yes,No. He told me his reasons why....Wanna hear??

  1. #1. He's 20.
  2. #2.We're in different phases of our lives.
  3. #3. Stat Rape... we're kinda iilegal.

Well to debate my point for #1. I've been out with guys older than me,18,19, even a 21 year old once but he's a friend. 20 and I were just going out as friends so I didn't see anything wrong with it. For #2, Yes we are in different phases of our lives but so are thousands of other people who are in relationships with people over and under their own age. As for #3, I went straight to the rule books.

16-6-3 G*** CODE SECTION *** 12/03/0116-6-3.(a) A person commits the offense of statutory rape when he or sheengages in sexual intercourse with any person under the age of 16years and not his or her spouse, provided that no conviction shallbe had for this offense on the unsupported testimony of the victim.(b) A person convicted of the offense of statutory rape shall bepunished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than 20years; provided, however, that if the person so convicted is 21years of age or older, such person shall be punished by imprisonmentfor not less than ten nor more than 20 years; provided, further,that if the victim is 14 or 15 years of age and the person soconvicted is no more than three years older than the victim, suchperson shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Well, this didn't persuade him. As any girl feeling defeated to the fullest I buckled, ran to my room and cried. I'm not one that cries often especially over things like this. After drying my eyes I called my best friend.She keeps me sane. Telling her the horrible news, she asked me how do i feel. I couldn't help but say," defeated, hurt, and angry." She was speechless that daddy had told me no and she couldn't say anything because she'd never been in this situation. I told her I'd be ok and got off the phone to face my fate. I texted him and told him give a call right away. About an hour later he called, tired and worn out ready to chill with me. I told him it was something I had to tell him even though I'd rather do it face to face. He was in the car and it was loud,as bad as I wanted to tell him I couldn't at least not then. So we got off the phone and decided to pick up later. As he got home he sent a text asking me what was my curfew, Thats when I broke the news. He was understanding but I knew his feelings were slightly hurt. We cut our conversation shorter than usual. Immediately, I knew things wouldn't be the same.

Can yu answer these three questions,Is age really nothing but a number?
Does a few years difference change a relationship if everything else is there?
Can we really be friends and hang out or is it impossible due to ones age difference?

RaiOut

9:21p

2 comments:

  1. philip mycal payne(feel my pain)November 2, 2009 at 12:42 AM

    to answer your first question age really isnt nothing but a number sadly alot of ppl dont really see it tht way. U can't help who u love u knw. A few years shouldnt change a relationship because age shouldnt matter as much in my opinion sweetheart. Yes u can be friends and hangout like i said before if you are comfortable with a person age shouldnt change anything and u shouldnt let it. It is so much i wanna say but idk how to put it. Idk i pray u figure it out. remember you're intelligent and beautiful u knw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, let me say that I am glad that your expressing yourself thru this method. So yes as your Father , your Dad, I look at you and see you as being my Precious daughterm so full of life and vigor, one who wants to beat to the tune of her own beat, without much caution. And thats where Icome in, to protect and provide for you. I am pretty liberal when it comes to most, but this I gave it a lot of thought, even consulting with the firm, still coming to the same answer of NO!. You say you gave me all this supporting information for me to take into consideration,well I disagree. And the for you to get out the car from being pick up from school to go upstairs and cry, wow, that makes me feel like there has been other contact that i would have no clue about and you have feelings like that(just makes me think). Now, its not like this person has been in the picture that I know about,nor have I heard you say anything about them prior to the other day. Not anything about him what so ever! So lets poll this question from my vantage point. Why would a 20yr old dude, who is free as a bird to do whatever he so chooses , he has his own apartment, car, and and you stated a good job, why would he want to limit himself to someone, who is in a completely different developmental state than he. You have a curfews and rules and high school to deal with, he has none of that, why would he want to deal with he can chill all night long if he so desire, but you have to be home at a certain time, not being able to legally be able to go to his apartment? Lets keep it real, 20yr old dudes are BONING, so are 17yr olds. It leaves me room to think that, he could be only interested in getting at you, and mess with your thought process. He could be different, but I dont know that fool. I had a apartment fresh out of high school, on the real, my thought process was get you in, and get you out, and when I was 20 still my apartment, it was more intense. So I am sorry, I cant let that happen to you, I love you so very much and I see the road that your life is getting ready to take you . You are so bright and well versed and have so much to look forward to achieving and making footprints, so I will protect, and fight against anyone or anything that could alter that.If there is a true connection he can wait it out until your 18, and out of high school. Maybe even come by and chill with us all, because thats how we get down. You made mention about the age difference between mom and I , butthe difference is we did not have to ask anyones permission to see each other, we where free and clear, had our own of everything(message)! So,I hope this clears up any other concerns for you. I love you! Signing off , your protect and provide DADDY!

    ReplyDelete