Monday, March 22, 2010

901

901. 


2012 Warren St.

Raven & Warren

Elliston HEiGHTS.





I came from a broken home,

accompanied by a bro ₪ ken heart;

But I’ve never been a broken girl and NEVER will I start.



Where I’m from is just s

                                  o

                                  u

                                  t

                                 h

of Downtown.



Better known as Funkytown;

Ninety percent Black and one fourth Latin,

Where the real things happen.

I am from the Pyramid, LeMoyne, and the Stax,

Step to the

left of the track,

And you’re in the home of Otis Redding, Isaac Hayes, and Roberta Flack.

We’re the first and oldest African-American neighborhood,

Yet the youngest major city that everyone says is no good.

Call us Soulsville,

Where the heart and soul live,

That’s where everyone is,

Or at least that’s how I feel.



Even the gangs all here,

Vice Lord, Bloods, GD’s, MS-13,

Even LMG.



Let me make myself clear,

The police say around here people just seem to disappear.

I’m from the Pop Tops, the Chop Shops,

and the C & L Beauty shop,

A & R’s, Crumpy’s, Exlines, and D.Bo’s

Rest in Peace to Lil D.Bo,

David R. Boyd,

You left my heart void,

Crunkfest,

Car crash,

Dead on the scene,

July 21st

But you weren’t the first,

KJ,

Baby Phil,

and Grandma were all waiting.

You were the real “Kaffeine” while the other were just faking,

Now your brothers yell “Kappa Alpha Ψsi,”

We’re our brother’s keepers till the day we die.

South Memphis, Orange Mound,

North Memphis Downtown,

Midtown, Hickory Hill,

Raleigh, Hickory Ridge,

Bartlett, Cordova, and Blackhaven oops, I meant Whitehaven,



Those are just the basics.

I’m from Blue Light City,

Elliston Heights, South Memphis.

No comments:

Post a Comment